Saturday, October 18, 2008

Finally up on my feet

Surprise we had somebody sick again in our home but this time it was me! Derek and I enjoyed a really nice yummy dinner at Texas Roadhouse on Tuesday night and then Wednesday I woke up sick. As the day went on I got worse I couldn't even lift the kids. I had no strength, chilled and full out body ache, plus a sore throat. It continued through the night and next morning. All I can say is thank goodness for a good husband who took care of the kids! Then I just had a sore throat for the past few days, but today I'm finally feeling better. I still don't feel myself but at least I feel a little better, good thing because Derek's at work all day.
So with that said what does everybody think about the flu shot? Do you get it? Do your kids get it? I've been debating whether we should all get the flu shot or not. Last year the boys got it and unfortunately Trey got the flu following the shot and then we all got the flu after Christmas. So I would love to hear your thoughts about the flu shot.

11 comments:

Kimberly said...

I've always heard "under 5 or over 55"

Diane said...

I actually asked some friends the other night about that. They all said that after they got the flu shot they got the flu!! How weird! I haven't had a flu shot in a couple years and I think I've been sick twice. But it is good for kids under 5 I hear. I hope you get it all figured out!

Get to feeling better, there's some nasty stuff going around!

Adam said...

Ok this is what I know about the flu shot. They say that it is a dead virus that they give you, but as you said you all got it. All that it is is a guess. They have no idea what type of flu that will be going around. So i figure that if I am going to get it anyway than why get the shot. That is my take on it. i am just planning on keeping my son out of the public for awhile. That is just what i think though, so do what ever your motherly instincts tell you to do.

Genessa said...

Sorry that was actually me my husband was signed in.

Anonymous said...

wow you guys have really gone the rounds with being sick. Hopefully you will be done with that for a while. As far as the flu shot goes. The shot is a killed virus so techincally the shot alone will not cause the flu. It takes about two weeks for the vaccine to get completely in your system so you could catch it between that time frame as well. But because it isn't guarnteed to keep you from getting it, if you do get it it most likely will be less severe. Also Parker will be too young to receive it so if you guys get it then he will be more prone to getting it. Me and the kids have always gotten it. Chad hasn't gotten it because he is not around the kids as often. None of us have ever gotten the flu except maybe the common cold/24 hour bug and the flu can knock you out up to a couple weeks if it is bad enough plus cause other complications in young kids such as pneumonia, bronchitis, and sinus and ear infections these are more prominent in young kids, pregnant women and older people. In other words it is not going to hurt you or cause you to get the flu, you might still end up with it but probably not as severe. That is just my opinion:)

ksreynolds said...

I'm a person who thinks about all shots before giving them to my children. I think it's a good thing to know the true on both sides before making a choise instead of just doing it because everyone does. I haven't given my kids the flu shots. but it's up to you! good luck.

Prudent Family said...

Hey there! Surprised to hear from me? I got your blog off of Nicole's, I hope that is all right. I haven't been a flu shot type of gal, but my kids' doctor highly recommended that they both get one. They are two and seven months old. He is a very smart and trustworthy doctor too. I have never gotten the flu shot and you always hear that myth that people get the flu after they get the flu shot, but that is certainly not true. Just do what you feel is best. It won't hurt to get it. Take care!

*~McGarys~* said...

The ression you get the flu from the flu shot is because you are injected with a small amount of the flu so that your body can fight it rather then getting the flu so bad that you have to go to the hospital. so....idk? It's better to have a small flu then a big one I guess.
I can wait to see you guys Friday!!!!

Brian and Jennifer said...

There are a lot of opinions about the flu shot. We get them. My husband works in the hospital and all medical staff is required to get them so it's not going to hurt you, otherwise, they wouldn't advise it. Just because you get the shot doesn't mean you might not catch another bug with flu-like symptoms. The symptoms usually aren't as severe if you get the shot. Anyhow, I just figure it's not going to hurt so why not get the shot. Just my opinion and if you'd like an opinion from my husband who deals with influenze (flu) a lot during this time of year in the ER, and sees all sorts of severity, I'm sure he'd be willing to give you one. He usually gives one if you want it or not. :) Good Luck with whatever you decide.

Anonymous said...

Hey!! Well I get the flu shot every year and I gave it to Matt last year and I have never gotten the flu and Matt didn't get it last year. I think people mistake the flu for maybe a 24 hour bug or something like that but the flu is more severe and can last for a couple weeks. Lots of people are hospitalized for the flu every year. There are several different strains of the flu and you can't get vaccinated for all of them so you may still get the flu but it won't be as severe as if you didn't get the flu shot. Anyway, I am pro vaccines so I say get it but do what you will. Good luck!

Alisa said...

We all get the flu shot every year.